U.S. CIVICS/citizenship program
Category: Adult Education, U.S. Civics Education
Position: U.S. Civics/Citizenship Instructor, Volunteer
Location: Fairfax County (Sterling), Prince William County (Manassas), or Loudoun County (Aldie)
Type: Part-time (unpaid)
Cycle: 2017 Fall
The U.S. Civics Program at This Land is Your Land (TLYL) prepares students for the U.S. civics section of the USCIS citizenship/naturalization exam. U.S. Civics Instructors teach students the 100 civics questions required for the naturalization test. Civics content includes U.S. history and government, U.S. symbols and holidays, principles of American democracy, rights and responsibilities of U.S. citizens, U.S. geography, and more.
- Assisting students with U.S. Civics material, including all 100 questions required for the USCIS citizenship examination.
- Facilitating classroom dialogue and interactive class activities.
- Planning and organizing lesson plans, as well as scoring and recording exams.
- Administering student assessment evaluations and teacher evaluations.
- Setting-up and disassembling classroom equipment.
- Participating in student outreach assignments and organization events.
A successful applicant will demonstrate or have:
- A Bachelor's degree in education with particular expertise teaching history or a related subject in a classroom setting
- Commitment and interest in community engagement with migrant families
- Knowledge of U.S. civics, including U.S. history, government and society
- Ability to work with adult students in small and large groups
- Strong attention to detail
- Proactive problem-solving skills
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent organization and multi-tasking skills
- Positive attitude
- Ability to be a team player
- Bilingual proficiency is preferred, but not required
All applicants are encouraged to apply. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. TLYL is an equal opportunity employer.